Nov 17, 2007

Introduction

This blog will provide various information and discussions on interface studies in the field of linguistics.
I roughly define the notion "interface" as interaction between any two components of human language's system; syntax, phonology, semantics and so on. However, I will probably focus on more specific topics, namely, interface studies in Generative linguistics along with my interest.

My interest, specializations and examples of topics are as follows,
-Syntax-Phonology/Morphology/Semantics interface
-Distributed Morphology
-Word formation (lexicon-grammar interface)
-Roles of locality and cyclicity in any components of the grammar
-Agglutinativity
-Status of morphophonological phenomena and phonological component
-Topics on Japanese grammar; conjugation, Case and case, voice, focus particles, modal predicates
...and so on.

Since the beginning of 90', studies on interface have been accelerated by development of two theories in generative linguistics; Minimalist Program and Distributed Morphology. I guess these studies have an impact on general linguistic theories beyond the boundaries of generative grammar.

I will try to collect and organize diverse information on these topics and indicate bases of discussions.

Finally, you know, this small project is also my training of English writing.

2 comments:

K. said...

Congratulations on your new blog! It's so neatly done and the interface-related topics interest me a lot. I look forward to reading your future articles.

Anonymous said...

> k.
Thank you for the first comment.
I wanna discuss various interfaces concerning human languages and linguistic theories...as far as my knowledge and writing skill permit.